Monday, October 20, 2014

Beginnings, ends, and the pursuit of finding happiness in a job.

NOW, I promise you that I didn't forget about this blog or forget about all you beauties that are reading this now/have read this blog before. In fact, there are at least 4 saved blog post drafts that I began with full intentions of finishing and publishing, however its been a loooong, busy and overall intense almost 3 months since I last updated on this whole post graduate life thing. In fact, I don't even know where to start, as I was a bridesmaid for two of my best friends back in early August, I bid my parents and Chachi farewell to Slovakia, and I have gone through a total of 3 different jobs since my last post.

I left my job as a Sales Associate at Zara about 5 weeks ago because I had finally hit the post-grad, full-time, salaried/benefited big-girl-job jackpot as a Marketing Assistant for a company that builds sets, exhibits, promotional event materials, and a slew of other pieces in and around Chicago. I had great vibes about what an awesome company I was working for, and what great things I could do in this position for this company. I was going to be able to present what the company does to different ad agencies in Chicago, and update their Social Media profiles, and be able to travel to different trade shows around the country.

Or so I had been told.

After a few weeks of settling into my position, I began to realize that this company wasn't quite as awesome as I had previously believed. I began to pick up on just how negative of an environment it was to work in, and how I wasn't entirely told the whole truth about how I would spend the majority of my time. In addition, I thought by accepting a position in a company in which I was surrounded by adults in their 40s-60s, I wouldn't have to deal with people regularly talking behind others' backs and acting like besties to their faces, constant yelling and complaining, and blatant disrespect that I witnessed directed towards fellow employees, and towards myself on occasion.

I'd find myself doing a whooooole lot more bitchwork than I was told I'd be doing during my interview. Obviously I knew there'd be some errands and orders I'd have to run, such as making coffee or taking my boss' dog for a walk, but I had to do other things that were slightly ridiculous, such as spending an entire day on Whitepages.com to obtain all 135 names and unit numbers of the CEO's Lake Shore Drive condominium building so he could invite them all to a private event that had nothing to do with work because the condo association refused to give him the names/units of the residents, orrrr the time when I had to find and book the cheapest flights for his parents who needed to visit Vermont for 2 days...when their expected trip was less than a month out, therefore making a cheap, non-stop flight virtually impossible and all the while he just sat at his desk playing solitaire on his computer, ORRR the time one of the employees ordered a new set of business cards, and upon me forwarding the proofs to said employee so they could double check their listed information and subsequently getting his 'ok' to order them, I got chewed out by my supervisor for not also double checking his information on the card proof, as it turned out the employee had 'ok'd his business card proofs that didn't have his correct email address. Being in the office quickly became stifling to me, and I realized my favorite time of day was my lunch break so that I could leave the building for an hour and not have to interact with the unpleasant coworkers, or witness someone back-talking their supposed "friend".

Ultimately, I'd find myself coming home from work stressed, agitated and cranky. I was also disappointed with fact I wasn't allowed to take any vacation days within my first 6 months. Not like it really mattered though because new employees only started out with two vacation days a year. Yes, you read that right. Two (2) vacation days and two sick days within your first year of employment there. While the vacation days/sick days would accrue over my time being employed there, it really frustrated me to know that I had absolutely no idea when I would be able to visit my parents in Slovakia. The shortest trip you should ever take to Europe is 10 days, which would take me years to accrue...more years than my parents are even planning on living there.

I mean, sure, the compensation wasn't bad which was obviously something I wasn't complaining about, but when it all comes down to it........I'm 22 years old. I am entirely too young to be settling into a position just because the money makes life more comfortable. I don't want to sacrifice my happiness for money ever, but by slaving myself to a job that wasn't a good fit just so I could pay my bills, I was doing exactly that.

So, my fancy-pants, shiny real-life job didn't work out as I had hoped, which was really upsetting. My last day there was roughly 3 weeks ago, and I've been so much happier since then.

If you know me at all, you know how much I thrive on having a plan. Especially when it comes to things like employment. I've had a job pretty consistently since I was 16 years old, with the only exceptions being my freshman year of college, and when I was abroad for 4 months. It felt uncomfortably strange waking up and not having anything to do for a few of those weeks after my last day. Frankly I didn't quite know what to do with myself, as applying to jobs online is straight up hopeless 99% of the time and I would've rather shoved bamboo shoots up my fingernails than return to retail, so I put my feelers out and ended up hearing through my friend thats an employee at Luxbar across the street that theeee infamous, iconic and world-renowned Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse at 1028 N. Rush Street  in the Gold Coast was in dire need of hosts.

Some backstory here: I've hosted at two other restaurants before in my life, and I (generally) really liked it, and have always had a sort of knack for the job/restaurant work. Not only is it one of those service industry jobs that I actually quite enjoy (as it doesn't involve folding shirts and dealing with fitting room numbers) but I'm also quite good at it. Sure, the hours are longer and the work is mentally and physically demanding and very high stress, but I'm good with problem solving, displaying grace under pressure, and overall just being smiley, friendly, gracious and polite no matter how much I want to punch certain rude/arrogant/entitled/obnoxious guests in the face.

On Wednesday, the 8th, after primping, picking out a dress and heels, and printing out my resume, I went in to apply. I filled my application out and was immediately greeted by a Gibsons manager. After speaking with him and another manager, I was asked to come back the next night to meet Kathy, the head manager that has been at the restaurant for the past 25 years (!!!!!!). This woman is on a first name basis with not only all of the "locals" (more about that later) that dine at Gibsons regularly, but also with guests like Bill Clinton, and Clint Eastwood (...nbd or anything...). Sure enough, after meeting her last Thursday, I was offered the position, and started training a week ago.

Just a little sample of the hundreds of celebrities, athletes, politicians, and overall important and well known people Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse has served over the last 25 years

The Gibsons Restaurant Group is unlike any place I've ever worked. First things first, its definitely a place that you go to "see and be seen", as the photo above exemplifies. As a part of my training, I spent time with the reservationists; which are people who have the sole job of sitting on the phones from 8AM-10PM Monday-Sunday and taking reservations for those that call in. These employees deal with over 1,000 phone calls a day from people looking to dine with us. We use OpenTable, a seating/reservation program tool that I'm currently in the process of learning. It stores information about each and every individual guest that makes a reservation with us. It also denotes the "locals", which are people that have dined with us many times. Typically, these people are somewhat picky about things, and can be somewhat...demanding:

I rest my case.


Frankly, after working these past 4 nights at both Gibsons and at Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House next door, I really do love it, and I'm excited to be a hostess again with what feels like the Cadillac of restaurant groups. Also, being able to take off work to both travel and be able to visit my parents in Europe is a huuuuuuge blessing that I know I wouldn't be able to do if I got another full-time position at the moment.

That all said, as much as I love being a host and love working in restaurants, I know I can't hold that position forever, and I know I can't work in restaurants forever. I mean, I probably could become a manager or server eventually, but I don't forsee myself wanting to do that as of now. I'm not really sure how long I'll keep this job for, but I'm content with where I'm at, and its truly an honor that I can work for such a highly-esteemed company. I know where my skills and passions lie, and at this point in my life I'm looking for an opportunity to be able to travel and see the world.

So we'll see where life takes me. I'm still (and probably will always be) learning to find peace in the fact that nothing ever really happens like I expect it will. But in the meantime, I'll be enjoying the ride.

Adieu,
Rachel ❥


Thought of the day:


"Breathe, my friend. You are not old, you are young. You are not a mess, you are normal. Extraordinary, perhaps. In the blink of an eye, your life will change. And it will continue to change for decades to come Enjoy it, embrace it...be grateful for the ride. You are not old, you are young. And faith will get your everywhere. Just you wait."
-Abby Larson


No comments:

Post a Comment